Friday, November 6, 2009

Dear K,

Today I blessed you with an "AhHa" moment about divine motherhood...


So I was reading in a magazine this morning about a celebrity mom whose sole concern is for the well being of her three adorable daughters. As I looked at the pictures displayed of their happy, carefree life, I knew it wasn’t always sunshine and dandelions. But it got me to thinking, how am I going to be the kind of mother who raises well rounded, happy as can be children? How am I going to give them enough outdoors time, mommy time, daddy time, creative time, music time, cooking time, etc. ? Is it possible to do all the things that those super mom’s say they do? Another contributor to my thoughts was a youtube account I happened to find the other night. A mother started filming her little girls at very young ages and posting their sweet videos online. Whatever she is doing is working. These little girls are smart and happy and filled with hope and vitality. They gained a reputation and the mother decided to use that for good. She now uses the girls videos to campaign for worthy causes around the world and to help educate others about the variety of opportunity the world has to offer. I was so impressed with these two little girls and what their mother has done with MuggleSam (the name of their site) that I literally sat and watched video after video, for hours, trying to think of how I could provide such a childhood for my children.

I know that I am not even married yet, but the thought of my future family has been frequently on my mind the last little while. So much uncertainty lies ahead of us in this misshapen world. Times are only going to get harder before we reach peace. I hate the thought of what the world will be when I do have children. The more I think about it, the more I know I have to be there for my children twenty four hours a day. We have to make it work as a family. Children need three times the nourishment physically, emotionally and spiritually. Spiritually being the key. The foundations I help my children build in the Gospel will be the only substantial element in life at times and if they don’t have that in the upcoming hardship the world will provide, then it will be a sorrowful loss.

Some may say there just isn’t enough time and energy in the world today to provide such stability for children. That every family is going to be less than picturesque; but I refuse to believe it. The children are the future. My mom probably thought that I was the future and I think about what I’ve experienced and done in my 22 years of living and don’t feel like it’s much. My mom was always there for us growing up. She never worked outside of the home. She was there every day when I arrived home from school and I think it helped stabilize me more than I realize. My mom is wonderful. She has always tried her hardest to do her best and it is probably better than I will do. I don’t know how I will accomplish half what she did, let alone all the things I want for my kids that my mom didn’t do with us.

As I’ve dwelt on the things pertaining to my goals in life and my dreams, I tend to get down on myself. I find it hard when someone says “Well, what is it that you want to do?” Well, I want to be a wife. I want to be a mother. I want to give all of myself to my spouse and my children. That is it. That is satisfying enough for me. I want to be there and experience the world with each of them. For so many, this is the cop out. To them that is just an answer I give because I’m not in school right now and don’t have any career aspirations, so much so that it brings me down and I start to think I don’t have a thing going for me. But when I find things like MuggleSam and a red carpet diva willing to give it all up for the opportunity to provide smiles on three little girls faces, I think, ya know, that is exactly what it is all about to me. I don’t care what others say, striving to be seen as a teddy bear, an oven, a washer, a dryer, a tissue, a dish rag, a mop, a broom, a sea captain, a safari leader, a princess, a tea party, a cab driver, a nurse, a kiss-it-better-please “you’re the best” kind of thing…well that’s more than an aspiration in my book. I feel so blessed to have the heart of a woman, anxious and willing to care for the well being of tender spirits Heavenly Father will send me. I look forward, with faith, to the day when I will begin learning in a whole new way, the day when I can unite with my eternal companion and have a special family of my own.